Thursday, May 7, 2015

3 Steps to beat the hell out of the "Hokey Pokey" Culture

I read a strange sign on my way home from work yesterday that nearly caused me to drive off the road...well...actually that was Wendy's, but thats another story...#workingonselfcontrol #practicallyhuman #notthereyet. In any event, the sign read this:


"What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" 

Why that was on a sign in front of a seafood restaurant is beyond me, but I have to be honest - it did make me think. For one, the hokey pokey simply isn't on the top of my list of "To Do's" like it used to be. But secondly it made me think about how we live in a world where "tolerance" is a greater virtue than "truth". Likewise, where not offending somebody has become more respected than having your own opinion on things. We live in a culture where relativism is not only praised but expected if you want to be considered "accepted" (whatever that means).

I learned a lot this year teaching Catholicism to 120 or so high schoolers, and one of the scariest things I realized was that a lot of them don't believe in any absolute truths.  Everything to them is "hokey pokey", if you will. They put their right foot in when its convenient and comfortable, but when they are challenged or uncomfortable they put their right foot out. I remember one day they 100% agreed with the Catholic Church's teaching that every single person in the world deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. But the next day when I said "what about Adolf Hitler or Randy, an unborn child of a woman who was raped?"...all of a sudden every single person except Adolf and Randy deserve to be treated with dignity? I call these people Hokey Pokers.


Let's shake it all about...
A Hokey Poker is uncomfortable confronting truth.
A Hokey Poker is afraid of suffering.

I believe that if a Hokey Poker gets to know Jesus Christ, the Truth, they will not be afraid of suffering anymore.



My intent that I was hinting at in my first blog post (you know, the one about being in Deep Poo...) is to give practical steps to live out Christian values in this crazy world we live in. I've had enough of these theories and ideas. I think what the world needs today is a concrete "How to be a follower of Christ".  Jesus Christ lived his life to the fullest and our goal is to get on his level. That's why we are only practically human, because with this whole original sin thing getting in our way, we just aren't there yet. Life can be a tough road, but a wise friend of mine once told me that the first 100 years are the hardest. The rest of the ride is a piece of cake, or two. We'll get there.



So what do we do about relativism and the Hokey Pokers?


3 Steps to beat the hell out of the "Hokey Pokey" Culture



1. Do the Hokey Pokey, turn yourself around, and get to know Jesus. 
If you don't know him, but you've already made a decision that you don't like him...that's an uninformed decision that will change your eternal destiny. I'd do more research because a lot is on the line if its all true. Start by reading the 4 Gospels and then let me know what you think of Jesus.

2. Decide to commit to following Jesus. Every day. 
You can commit just once, but I guarantee that you'll forget you ever made the commitment #lifeiscrazy #cantkeepup. Every day when you wake up, go ahead and hit that snooze button (#workingonselfcontrol) and for just 2 minutes before you doze back off to sleep tell God you love him and ask Him what He wants of you for that day. Just don't forget what He says when you do get up.

3.  Pray that you will have the courage to die for Jesus Christ, so when the time comes you will. #longtermgoals
This doesn't (necessarily) mean that you're going to physically be a martyr. But it does mean that you will be persecuted for your faith. Those Hokey Pokers are brutal! If you don't stand up for what you believe in, you are joining the dark... I mean...Hokey Pokey side. 





No comments:

Post a Comment